Studying for an MA in Children's Book Illustration at Cambridge School of Art....a wonderful place with lovely people!

Sunday 3 October 2010

John Vernon Lord

We had our first lecture on Wednesday. It was a wonderful insight into the world of John Vernon Lord, (Author and illustrator of The Giant Jam Sandwich) a prolific and highly regarded illustrator. The title was Storytelling in pictures...the lecture didn't offer any magic solutions but rather many questions an author illustrator should ask themselves when creating.

I had looked at John Vernon Lord's work before the lecture and find it fascinating...what I first thought were meticulously engraved images are in fact created with a Rotring pen...and lots of patience!

I felt so inspired I had to come home and try for myself. I worked up some of my sketches from the farm and really liked the result. Not nearly as delicate as the Professor's beautiful work but not bad for a first go:
Edding fine liner