Studying for an MA in Children's Book Illustration at Cambridge School of Art....a wonderful place with lovely people!

Thursday 7 October 2010

The penny drops!



Had a fantastic but exhausting day yesterday. Went to the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge for a drawing day with two of our tutors, Pam Smy and Jane Human. It was a wonderful place to go and draw...but we all were a bit overwhelmed! Did one quick sketch in pen....was concentrating so hard I had drawn half of Emma before I recognised her!
Edding fine liner
Jane and Pam were so helpful. It is the first time that someone has actually taken a pencil and shown me how to draw! Something I have wanted whenever I have been studying and which until now people have always been reluctant to do. Pam took a soft pencil and told me to ignore lines and lay down tones. Watching her draw, the penny dropped and I couldn't wait to try.

Found a spot at the top of a staircase and had a go. Pam had said that the aim is to convey a sense of time and place and to 'contextualise'. Also try to give a sense of scale. This is what I came up with :
Pencil
Although exhausted, the sun had started to come out so we all marched down to the market and sat and sketched there. I tried the same method, creating the setting and then adding the figures as they came and went. Such an exciting and liberating way to draw!
Pencil