Friday, 25 February 2011
Have been working on finding a medium to work up the final Clara pieces. Got very disheartened with the computer generated efforts so worked with watercolour , pen and ink and feel much happier with the results. Here is a dummy run...a few mistakes (especially the splodge where the birds are!) but like the less contrived results.....I think I will probably end up losing the Raj art theme and go for a much simpler style.
Monday, 14 February 2011
Had a really useful tutorial with Pam ...we discussed the rough storyboard I had produced so felt confident to start on a more detailed storyboard. Decided to scan in my sketches, colour up and assemble them in book form so I can see how the finished book might look. The story will be wordless.
Have been inspired by Rajput painting as this will create atmosphere and the Asian influence I feel the story needs...the examples I have found are very detailed so will need to simplfy the style but excited to start. Hope to paint the illustrations in gouche and watercolour but these small images have been rough coloured in Photoshop. The illustration of Clara's travels through Europe will be a continuous fold our frieze of six pictures.
This semester we are working on the sequential image. Before I started my course I was listening to a radio programme about a Rhinoceros called Clara and I made a note of it in case there was an opportunity for a story.
I looked for images of rhinos, but my drawings were very wooden, so one windy rainy day I set off for Whipsnade where they have a herd of Indian rhino ...and some babies! (Click this link to watch a wonderful video of the baby rhino).
Here are some of my sketches...what lovely animals they are ...so glad I went!